GC Basketball Success Gives Campus New Energy

Ben Grunert

The GC men’s basketball team put together one of their best campaigns in recent history. They
ended the regular season on a nine-game win streak, their best streak since the 2009-10 season.

COVID-19 presented new challenges for college athletes across the country, but the Bobcats
overcame the adversity of the pandemic and thrived all season long. They ended the regular
season with an impressive 10-2 record as the second-ranked team in the PBC. However, their
season ended last Thursday when they fell to Georgia Southwestern 75-56 in the PBC
Tournament Semifinal.

Despite their disappointing finish, the Bobcats have a lot to be proud of. The team finished the
2020-21 season with one of the highest winning percentages in GC history. They also finished
the season ranked in the nation’s top-25 for the first time in 10 years.

Their impressive win streak garnered extra attention across campus as many students took notice
of the team’s success. After finishing last season with more losses than wins, the Bobcats did
quite the opposite with their dominant spring semester.

According to an anonymous survey of about 60 GC students, 59% of students heard about the
Bobcat win streak. Meanwhile, 60% of students attended at least one of two men’s basketball
games that allowed spectators or knew someone who attended at least one of the games.

GC junior Emma Fleming attended Thursday’s game against Georgia Southwestern and enjoyed
the experience.

“I loved watching them play in the tournament,” Fleming said. “I could see why they had such a
great season. They fought hard, and it was really fun to watch.”

Not only did the Bobcats achieve an impressive record, but they also saw several players receive
recognition for their efforts on and off the court. GC seniors Jordan Thomas and Kohl Roberts
made the All-PBC First Team, while junior point guard Wesley Simpson received third-team
honors.

Sophomore Brandon Thomas earned postseason academic recognition as the winner of the
Elite-16 Award. He earned it with his perfect 4.0 cumulative GPA and became the second-ever
Bobcat to win the award.

The men’s basketball team made waves throughout GC with their phenomenal performances.
Aside from increased attention for GC basketball, many students displayed more interest in other
sports.

“It has been really cool to see the basketball team playing so well this year,” said GC junior
Skyler Rabson. “I love sports, so I started following the baseball team and soccer team more
when I heard about the basketball team’s success. It definitely makes it a little more fun for me
as a student here.”

Nearly 50% of surveyed students claimed to follow other GC sports teams more closely due to
the basketball team’s popularity and success. If the men’s basketball team can keep up their
winning ways next season, GC athletics should steadily become more prominent throughout the
university and its culture.

Although the team will lose multiple seniors who played key roles this spring, the Bobcats
cannot be counted out after fighting their way back to the top of the PBC. After several years as
an underdog squad with a chip on their shoulder, the GC men’s basketball team will maintain
that mentality as they look to come back even stronger in the fall.