GC Mock Trial Team Wins Big

By Charlotte Joiner

GC Mock Trial Wins Big

After defeating Boston College in a three-day tournament, GC’s mock trial team won awards for
Outstanding Plaintiff Attorney, Outstanding Defense Attorney and Outstanding Witness.

Sam Tucker, who won Outstanding Witness, said that getting into character was a journey on its
own. He said mock trial as a whole was a huge commitment, comparable to a full-time job.

“It will grind you to a pulp then ask you to build yourself back up and put your pieces together
and probably give the best public speaking performance of your entire life,” Tucker said. “It
sounds like hell, but the payoff, the reward and self gratification are worth it.”

Tucker noted that the preparation of getting into character involved stepping outside of himself.
His brother, an actor, played a large role in the crafting of this character.

Cast to play a character with a Southern accent, Tucker said his brother helped make the accent
stick. The two would go back and forth in conversation while Tucker stayed in character. This
solidified his comfortability playing the character and made it more believable to the audience.

Lillian Renaud, president and winner of Outstanding Plaintiff Attorney and Outstanding Defense
Attorney, noted the difficulty of leading the organization during COVID-19.

“Some people struggle with memorizing things or coming up with a character. For me
personally, leading a group of students — just because we’re all peers too — being in a
leadership position with high stakes was extremely difficult.”

Without having to play a character this year, Renaud added that learning how to tie in emotion
and dramatization through her own performance was challenging. She explained that Dr.
Lamparello, advisor of the mock trial team, taught the students helpful methods.

“He [Dr. Lamparello] wanted us to channel that kind of emotion, and I think that’s when we
finally made the breakthrough. You have to have the confidence to be emotional in front of
others, and once we got it down, we were able to accomplish that.” said Renaud.

Dr. Lamparello, having practiced law for more than 20 years, noted that it takes knowledge, skill,
public speaking skills and a good heart to succeed. Dr. Lamparello added that, as a perfectionist,
his standards were high and believed his students were perfectly capable of winning.

Dr. Lamparello utilized substitution, a method of acting where an individual immerses
themselves in the character they’re given.

“I asked the students to recall a traumatic event in their life that confronted them with great
adversity and when they were in that character, to really feel those emotions as that character,”
Dr. Lamparello said. “I think that this method was extremely effective.”

Dr. Lamparello said the combined efforts of the team paid off. The team gathered around a
laptop for the virtual awards ceremony and were thrilled when they heard their names, describing
the feeling as euphoric.

Daria Brown won an award for Outstanding Plaintiff Attorney and had one of the best opening
statements in mock trial history, according to the judge. Brown said there was a feeling of relief
when her hard work paid off, and the team’s dedication motivated her to excel.

“At the end of that weekend I wanted to feel like I gave it everything I got,” Brown said. “I don’t
want to just get lucky. I want to prepare to do my best and to know that at the end of the weekend
I can walk away smiling no matter what.”

Brown said she felt victory in seeing her teammates do their best and truly enjoy the process.
Beating Boston College only added to that feeling.

“Look guys, the South has something to say, and we did,” Tucker said. “People across that
competition are at home on their computer Googling ‘Georgia College and State University’. I
am sure that next year there will be a bid given to GC and more awards will be won — 100%.”