Vick Earns First Career PBC Athlete of the Week Title

Christian Stroud

Junior guard Harper Vick claimed her first career Peach Belt Conference Athlete of the Week honor. Vick earned this honor for the week ending on Feb. 7 after  GC played a road contest at Clayton St. where she netted 34 points, both a career and season high. That weekend the team traveled to Flagler where she banked 26 points. Vick scored 60 points in two games which earned her the title. During her 34 point game she shot 100% from the freethrow line, a perfect 14-14.

Vick leads the team in points per game at 15.8 and assists with 25. She has a free throw percentage of 80.4 compared to the team’s percentage of 62.6. Vick has also played in all 12 games this season starting in 11. “She has definitely gotten into the groove these past few weeks.” said head coach Ross Jolly when asked about Vick’s performance this season. 

Vick leads her team in more than just statistics. She is a leader not only on the court but off the court as well. “[She is] one of the leaders on our team, she leads not only in the game but she leads by example on and off the court. She’s a great teammate,” said sophomore forward Jaycie Bowen. Bowen, hailing from Homer, GA  has played in all 12 games this season shooting 83.3% from the free throw line as well as having five assists. She has assisted Vick twice in the season, both on plays from behind the three point line.  

Vick has a long resume in her tenure here at GC, but this is by far her highest athletic honor. “It’s a really big honor. It’s been a personal goal of mine. Last year I won Bobcat Athlete of the Week and I’ve always wanted to win the PBC Athlete of the Week,” Vick said. During her sophomore season she won the Division Two Athletic Directors Association Academic Achievement Award, PBC Team of Academic Distinction, and PBC Silver Scholar. She is also a three time Bobcat Athlete of the Week recipient. 

Having previously attended Harrison High School,  she is currently an exercise science major here at GC. Once she earns her bachelors degree, she wants to obtain a masters degree in kinesiology of education. She also plans to get her doctorate degree in physical therapy to later become a physical therapist. 

The GC Women’s Basketball Team is back in action Saturday, Feb. 20 to take on Clayton St. The contest will be held at the Centennial Center; tip off will be at 1:30 p.m. The first 50 students with a valid bobcat card will be allowed admission to the game. Live stats and streaming of the game will be available at GCBobcats.com.