Recruiting through COVID-19

Molly Layne | Asst. Arts & Life Editor

Greek Life is one of the largest organizations on GC’s campus. This year, the recruitment process has been compromised due to COVID-19, which has drastically affected pledge class sizes and recruitment events.

GC Greek Life consists of the College Panhellenic Council, the National Panhellenic Council, the Interfraternity Council and the United Greek Council, all which follow the mission to assist and empower students to live their rituals daily through their actions, activism, service, leadership and scholarship.

Spring recruitment events turned virtual this year, and in person events were held outside, socially distanced and in small groups. Behind the scenes, recruitment teams worked day and night to ensure that the potential new members had an experience like no other.

“Phi Mu was able to have an online COB event where we did a Zumba class,” said Marisa Ridgely, a junior marketing major and the recruitment chair for Phi Mu. “We were also able to have a socially distanced tye-dye event at the house as well. Girls got to sign up for certain time slots, and we met up outside the house and got to know each other.”

COB is short for Continuous Open Bidding, which is a form of informal recruitment that sororities participated in.

“I decided not to go through recruitment in the fall because I wasn’t sure how it would be due to COVID,” said Ava Reardon, a freshman undeclared major. “After my first semester, I decided that I wanted to participate in spring recruitment and find my place in a sorority.”

Greek organizations brainstormed events that would be both safe and fun, and give new members a chance to see what the organization is about and to meet its members. COB’s were given out throughout the week after events were held, opposed to the traditional recruitment where bids are given out all at once.

“I think that the sororities did a great job hosting safe and distanced events, and they made sure that all of the girls were comfortable,” Reardon said.

It is extremely important for these organizations to follow COVID-19 protocols, and to set a good example for their members, new members and the entire Milledgeville community.

“Adjusting to this new normal has definitely been weird for everyone, but it’s what has to happen,” said Emma Scharnell, a senior psychology major and member of Delta Zeta. “Everyone’s safety is most important, and Greek Life has to realize that our actions impact more than just us. We have to set a good example for not only GC, but the community as a whole. I think that Panhellenic has done an amazing job enforcing that this spring.”

As spring recruitment comes and goes, GC students can only hope for normalcy to return.

“Recruitment this semester has definitely been different because of COVID,” Ridgely said. “But, we have been able to meet some really amazing girls.”