Kappa Alpha Raises $2,500 for Life Enrichment Fund

The Kappa Alpha Order at GC recently raised $2,500 for Milledgeville’s Life Enrichment Center. Partnering with the LEC in the past, KA reached out to family, friends, students and alumni to fundraise for much needed technological upgrades at the facility.

KA chapter members and LEC staff congregated on front campus Oct. 14 for a check-receiving ceremony. Surrounding the Bobcat Head, LEC and KA spoke to a crowd of local reporters and photographers about the importance of the funds.

The ceremony commenced with the introduction of LEC staff. Executive Director Barbara Coleman, Visual Arts Coordinator Paige Ellington and Activities Director Jay Warren expressed their appreciation for the LEC’s growing mission and how KA contributed.

“Well the mission of our organization is to provide support for individuals with intellectual developmental disability,” Coleman said. “That our philosophy is we’re all more alike than different. So we seek to try with our partnership with Georgia College to change the mindset of a community in a generation, one student at a time.”

With the absence of CountyLine, KA’s annual benefit concert, due to COVID-19, chapter president Charlie Haug set out to raise funds in a different, safer way.

“We have been a four man band that has kept the LEC afloat since COVID. But as the community started to open back up, as our individuals started to get more connected, we started reaching out to the community for some support,” Coleman said. “And so if you fast forward to about three weeks ago, Charlie calls me and he says, ‘Hey, is there anything we can do for you guys?’ And I said, ‘Yeah, we need about $5,000. Can you do that?’ He said, ‘Well, we will commit to half of that.’”

Although the LEC is partnered with various campus organizations such as Gamma Sigma Sigma, Nonprofit Alliance, Campus Kitchen and Music Therapy Society, Haug and the rest of KA knew that funds were in desperate need and decided to act fast.

“They’re a really near and dear organization to all of our hearts,” Haug said. “So when she told us that their server was going down, and that they needed this money, I was so excited to be able to help them. When we were able to give them that donation and actually fundraise and reach that goal, we were just over the moon.”

The LEC was challenged with a multitude of technological obstacles. An outdated server, borrowed devices and network crashes plagued the facility with the inability to meet its maximum potential.

“It was all specifically fundraised for technology upgrades at the center, either behind the scenes in our backbone, so the server upgrade, and also technology,” Warren said. “And our network crashed. We couldn’t handle it. So we needed to make some significant upgrades. And that’s when these guys came out.”

Although many view Greek life for its social pull, philanthropy and service are the fortitudes of these organizations. Haug set out to keep community engagement as a forefront for his fraternity. According to Haug, KA creates a script for all fundraising opportunities to determine where fundraised money is going to/how it’s donated. Direct donation links were sent to family, friends, alumni, classmates and posted via social media. Apart from the LEC, KA and

other fraternities raised significant funds for various organizations over the years, including the Independence Fund. GC’s Interfraternity Council (IFC) sought to raise $20,000 for a track chair for a veteran in Milledgeville who lost their ability to walk in the line of fire; KA raised $2,960 in just over a week, beating their spring semester goal.

For the LEC, Haug already has plans for another fundraising opportunity: a 5k. The LEC is beyond appreciative of KA’s efforts and plan to continue working with them and other student organizations in the future.

“A lot of you never got to see the results of your actions. You just heard what was going on, and you acted,” said Warren when addressing KA. “It means a lot about your character for us to understand and know that you may not see the results of what you’re doing. But they’re long standing results are not some one time thing that happens. What you’ve done is going to change people’s lives going forward for years to come.”